Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Everything I Love about Winter I Found in Lapland

The bus rocked me to sleep as the landscape said its farewell. The grey sky turned blue as it welcomed dusk and the snow answered, enveloping me in a peaceful, snowy, blue world. The headlights glowed orange and the pine trees stood tall in the cold. There will always be some Lapland in me, I thought, as I drifted off into that groggy, sitting-up bus sleep. I was heading south but the Arctic would surely be seeing me again.

As the snow of February and March turn into the rain and occasional snowstorm of April and hopefully the sunshine of May, I reflect on why I love winter so much. Especially today since I woke up to a snowy white Vaasa. As it turns out, everything I love about the season I found in Lapland, which I had the pleasure of experiencing at the end of February.

1. Snow
I just really love the fluffy white stuff. It's magic.

2. Skiing
This is a no brainer for anyone who knows me.

3. Christmas
Ok, I just put this one on the list because I met Santa Claus while I was in Rovaniemi. I really do like Christmas though.

4. Adventure
Winter can be an adventurous time for some, with the heightened challenge staying warm while taking advantage of the wonderful outdoors. In Lapland I experienced some of the best winter activities like snow shoeing, husky driving, and ice swimming.


5. Snowmen
My snowman building skills have always been less than stellar, but I do enjoy making friends with a snow giant when I can.

5. Community
Winter brings people together because sooner or later it brings them inside. The time spent warming up by the fire or in the sauna is often when the best conversations and bonding moments happen.

6. Childhood
Because who doesn't love getting bundled up and playing in the snow without a care in the world?

7. Culture
The time you spend inside during the winter lends itself to culture, whether that means fully experiencing your own or learning about a new one. In Lapland I got to learn about the Sami, or the indigenous people to the region.

8. Reindeer
It's something to love about Lapland, at least. These creatures are just so dang cute.




No comments:

Post a Comment