Friday, April 10, 2015

Being a Tourist in Vaasa

It's easy to neglect the "tourist attractions" in the cities in which we live. But I've found that these things can really add something to our perception of our surroundings. These things showcase the culture and history of these places and allow us to look at our cities with different eyes than the ones that look at the same buildings on our way to class or work everyday. After doing some traveling around Finland I realized that I had been neglecting some of these places in Vaasa. Besides the gulf anyway; I love being so close to the beautiful gulf of Bothnia and I see that as often as I can.

I didn't have any meetings yesterday and my tasks for the project were progressing just fine, so I took the afternoon to explore two of Vaasa's art museums--Tikanoja Art Museum and the Kuntsi Museum of Modern Art. The exhibition currently on display in the former is about coffee culture in Finland--how coffee came to Europe in the first place, how coffee culture developed in Europe and particularly Finland, and how the tools and artifacts associated with coffee have changed over time. It was a fun exhibition if you ask me. :) In the modern art museum they had a really cool exhibition called "Who are you?" It showcased a collection of people from Finland and Russia. Each person had three photos--his/her idol, a self portrait, and his/her enemy.

Cedric the Gnome at Tikanoja
Tikanoja Art Museum
At the Kuntsi Museum of Modern Art
No matter what I see, though, nothing is quite as beautiful as the sea right by campus, whether frozen white or bright blue.



No comments:

Post a Comment