Sunday, February 8, 2015

In Finland everyone can walk on water


So my campus is right on the sea . . . does that make it the Pepperdine of Finland?

Let's have a look and see.

Campus & some of Vaasa (thanks Google)

Pepperdine (again, thanks Google)
Yep. I think where I live is equally as beautiful in the summer AND I get the added bonus of the winter. I don't think many people would find winter an added bonus, but why else did I come to Finland? :P

Not only does Vaasa have the summer sea activities, but it remains a place of activity in the winter as well. When the Gulf of Bothnia freezes over every year, people take advantage of the snowy space and use it for ice fishing, cross-country skiing, and snowmobiling. You heard that right, people do all of these things on top of the frozen sea.

Selfie on the sea!! Photobomb courtesy of Simon from Belgium.
On Friday (6 February) after Winter Sports Day, some of the EPS students and I took a walk on the gulf. It transitioned seamlessly from solid ground to solid water, and pretty soon we were looking back on campus and trying to fathom how in the world we could be so confidently prancing on top of the Gulf of Bothnia.



The view of Vaasa and campus from the sea
This is one of the many things I am finding that I love about Finland. What a unique and beautiful place!
This is my paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment